Saturday, October 4, 2008

Going Back

In honor of my first blog, I'd like to go back a couple years....okay 20 years to be exact. I was a senior in high school. I really loved Star Trek and shamelessly pilfered from it for a Creative Writing contest. This is probably the first thing I ever won, or came close to winning. I can't remember if I won 1st or 2nd place, but really, does it matter now? Well, I guess it would to my best friend, who also won either 1st or 2nd place. Either way, we were both winners. So, here it is, my 1st or 2nd place winning entry:


"The Trouble With Revision"
The Trouble With Revision

Revision....The Final Draft. These are the voyages of the deadline-meeting writer. Their continuing mission...to relocate blocks of text....to seek out strange new grammar habits...to boldly correct where no man has corrected before.

Writer's Log: Stardate 1:21:1988, I seem to have stumbled upon a sentence that doesn't fit into the rest of the text. Should I abort the mission and surrender to the enemy? No! I'll use parentheses to remind myself to put the sentence in its proper location later on.


Meanwhile, on the paper's surface...punctuation in the wrong place, no capitalization. Damn it Chief! I'm a writer, not a Starship Captain! I can't just set my pencil on stun and expect my misspelled words to disappear. Please think logically sir. When the final paper is ready, I'll transport it up to you and you can judge for yourself.


There we have it. Another voyage of revision completed. Warp 10 Sulu. Get us out of here...and fast.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. If I have comment moderation on it may take a while for your comment to appear. =)