Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I Was At The Wrong Battle

I've never been to any kind of revolutionary war reenactment even though I'm literally surrounded by early American history. I'm talkin' early. Can't get much earlier than this place. Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg. Look 'em up if, for some strange reason you find yourself scratching your head.

This past weekend, on the grounds of [more like the corn fields of] The Inn at Warner Hall in Gloucester was the "Battle of the Hook", which I read about and wanted to check out. I told the folks I was taking them and we planned on going Saturday but it rained all day. War might not wait for good weather, but I sure do.

Sunday was beautiful and when we arrived on the grounds the battle had just begun. I have to admit, I was like an excited little kid. Unfortunately, I forgot to do my homework because we had no idea what was going on or who was doing what. It all looked so complicated...and yet so civilized.

Afterward we visited the sutlers* tents...


and beautiful Warner Hall.


You can read more about The Battle of The Hook here along with viewing the rest of my pictures, which are actually of "The Battle of Greensprings". Yeah, the whole time we thought we were watching the Battle of the Hook, but remember, that was Saturday's big event. duh.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you may have been wrong when you were there but at least you figured it out! There are so many people out there that don't know 1/10th the history of our country that you do!:) We have been very lucky to live in the Hampton Roads area.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. If I have comment moderation on it may take a while for your comment to appear. =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...