Saturday, February 20, 2010

Glamour Shots Gone Bad

Your eyes explain a story
That never had a start
Your brow reveals the glory
That's hidden in your heart

Face dances tonight
Fate chances moonlight
                     - Pete Townshend

"expressive" self portrait
This week we've been working on a self portrait. I just love self portraits. No, not really, but this one was a lot less painful than usual. And pretty comical, too. We had to make some kind of facial expression, and since I have a rather extensive repertoire, this task came quite natural for me. Plus, I have no fear when it comes to showing the ugly.
We used the grid method in order to enlarge the image. Just what the world needs; a double lifesize portrait of my mug, right?

self portrait grid


self portrait

I have a lot more shading to do, and obviously I need to fill in my hair, because, as you can see, I'm not a blonde.

While we're here, I thought I'd show you my first self portrait. This one was in a painting class over 16 years ago. This was also to be an expressive portrait. Man, I had some big hair back then...and eyebrows!

This was my angry look. Truthfully, it was just the easiest face to make since we were painting from a mirror and not a photograph. And I really did look like that! I should post a picture from that era for comparison...but I won't.

self portrait acrylic on canvas
acrylic on canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. If I have comment moderation on it may take a while for your comment to appear. =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...