Thursday, August 8, 2013

A Night At The Virginia Living Museum

Next to the railroad tracks, tucked under an overpass in the city of Newport News, Virginia, there is the Virginia Living Museum, "an open air museum that has many living exhibits of Virginia's indigenous species". It's the place all local school kids go to on yearly field trips, and from what I hear, dreaded by parents who get roped into chaperoning said trips.
I wouldn't know, as I don't have kids, but I'll take their word for it.

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, Jason and I have not been there since we were kids, ourselves.

Here are a few pictures from our visit Tuesday night.
(No pictures were allowed in the "Bodies Revealed" exhibit, so all I had was my mobile phone.) 

 There is a loggerhead sea turtle in the bottom left corner who we were very interested in seeing,
but he didn't care to perform.


Virginia Living Museum via foobella.blogspot.com

I completely forgot all the stuff I learned last night.

Virginia Living Museum via foobella.blogspot.com
We had fun watching this turtle as he swam around. 

Virginia Living Museum via foobella.blogspot.com

Virginia Living Museum via foobella.blogspot.com
The Spotted Turtle. You probably can't tell, but he's in the water.

Virginia Living Museum via foobella.blogspot.com
Jelly fish. They are nice and pretty in the tank, which is where they should stay.

Virginia Living Museum via foobella.blogspot.com
Can you spot the seahorse? 

Virginia Living Museum via foobella.blogspot.com

A lot of the educational stations were closed because the place is not normally open for evening hours. So, we didn't get the full effect, but we still had a good time.

Virginia Living Museum via foobella.blogspot.com
Lots of snakes. ick.

Virginia Living Museum via foobella.blogspot.com
This is a copper head. ick.

Oh wait, I did learn one thing about snakes. Water Moccasins, in particular. If you see a snake's whole body while it's in the water, it's a venomous one. If you just see it's head poking out, it is not. But, do not take my word for it and try to cozy up to one, as I will not be held responsible for the outcome. 

Virginia Living Museum via foobella.blogspot.com
This alligator? He couldn't be bothered. 

Virginia Living Museum via foobella.blogspot.com

Virginia Living Museum via foobella.blogspot.com
Apparently, dinosaurs walked around our state, but they didn't bother to leave any fossils to be found, just footprints.  

Virginia Living Museum via foobella.blogspot.com
On the way out, I spotted the sea turtle swimming around, so we had to go back in there and watch him for a while.  I think Jason wants one. I don't think the tub is quite big enough, though.

I enjoyed our evening out, but we definitely have to go again, since the entire outside area was closed for this special evening event

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. If I have comment moderation on it may take a while for your comment to appear. =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...