Thursday, October 18, 2012

I love Typography

I am taking a typography class and I have never worked so diligently in any class before. Well, that's not entirely true. I have worked hard in all (most) of my classes, but this is the first one that I really wanted to work so diligently in, actually losing all track of time. For instance, I was the last one in class last night, literally. The professor locked the door behind her and told me not to stay too long. ha.
typography via foobella.blogspot.com

And don't get me wrong, I love photography, and I love to do the work, but there is just something about typography that has always interested me, since the first time I took it, way back when we actually used pen and ink on actual paper. I think I loved it then because of the feel of the pen nib on the paper. I just love it. I can't really explain it, other than it feels so good to glide that pen across the paper. I'm sure it's the same feeling an artist has when gliding their brush across the canvas, or watercolor paper, etc.

Now we do our work on the computer, and I was kind of upset when I learned that we wouldn't be working by hand in this new typography class. After we started our first assignment, using adobe illustrator, I loved it. Our professor even mentioned how we are worlds away from what I remember, and it's much more freeing with computers. The sky's the limit. Whatever crazy idea you have, you can do it almost instantly, unlike with pen and ink. So, my disappointment didn't last long at all.

Our first assignment in class; sing a song. What? Yes. I had to sing a song. Stay tuned and I'll explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. If I have comment moderation on it may take a while for your comment to appear. =)