Thursday, January 12, 2017

3D Printed Gadgets and Tools

I showed you a cute 3D printed camera magnet in my previous post. Today I will show you a couple things Jason made that show the utility of having a 3D printer. Although, admittedly, one print was for the 3D printer, and the 2nd was for wares made with the 3D printer. ha.

When he assembled his printer, Jason found that the spool holder--the thing that holds the filament reel atop the printer--was not wide enough, which is strange, since the filament reel I bought was suggested to go with this printer.  

No problem, though. Jason went to Thingiverse.com and found someone who designed their own spool holder. So, our first utilitarian 3D print was born. 

See the gold peeking out from the middle of the filament reel in this photo from my previous post? That's our print that came from this digital file created by Thingiverse.com member ghostpoisonface
3D printed camera via foobella.blogspot.com


Here is what a digital file looks like. ↓
3D design via www.thingiverse.com/thing:1782317 blogged on foobella.blogspot.com
image via http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1782317

The image below shows supports attached to the object, which will be removed once the object is created. 
3D design via www.thingiverse.com/thing:1782317 blogged on foobella.blogspot.com
image via http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1782317

Here you see a comparison between our print (gold) and the spool holder that came with the printer. Big difference.  

3D printed Spool Extender via foobella.blogspot.com


The second tool he printed also happens to be Jason's first design using the free program Tinkercad.com. Do you know what it is? ↓

3D printed Paint Brush Rest via foobella.blogspot.com

Maybe this will help. 

3D printed Paint Brush Rest via foobella.blogspot.com

After my first session painting some of his prints, I told Jason he should make a paint brush rest for me. In the blink of an eye, it seems, there it was! I love this printer!! And of course, Jason's design skillz. 😎

For anyone interested in printing a brush rest of their own, here is the link to Jason's design: 

═══════════

Oh, and because I forgot to include it in my last post, here is what was printing in my post from Monday. Though, who am I kidding? Everyone knows what this is, even if they are not Star Wars fans. ↓
3D printed Millennium Falcon via foobella.blogspot.com
Millennium Falcon printed from digital file via http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:919475

Yes, I still have to paint it. sigh. Thank goodness I have that paint brush rest. 

My mind is awhirl with printing ideas now. Stay tuned for more prints. This is fun!

🙋

Thanks for visiting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. If I have comment moderation on it may take a while for your comment to appear. =)